1 the quantity of water falling to earth at a specific place within a specified period of time; "the storm brought several inches of precipitation"
2 the process of forming a chemical precipitate
3 the falling to earth of any form of water (rain or snow or hail or sleet or mist) [syn: downfall]
4 the act of casting down or falling headlong from a height
5 an unexpected acceleration or hastening; "he is responsible for the precipitation of his own demise"
6 overly eager speed (and possible carelessness); "he soon regretted his haste" [syn: haste, hastiness, hurry, hurriedness]
- Rhymes with: -eɪʃǝn
- A hurried headlong fall.
- countable chemistry A reaction that leads to the formation of a heavier solid in a lighter liquid; the precipitate so formed at the bottom of the container.
- (Weather) Any or all of the forms of water particles, whether liquid or solid, that fall from the atmosphere (e.g., rain, hail, snow or sleet). It is a major class of hydrometeor, but it is distinguished from cloud, fog, dew, rime, frost, etc., in that it must fall. It is distinguished from cloud and virga in that it must reach the ground.
- Unwise or rash rapidity; sudden haste.
- had acted with some precipitation and had probably started out upon a wild-goose chase -- Dorothy Sayers
chemistry: chemical reaction forming solid in liquid
weather: water falling from the atmosphere
unwise or rash rapidity; sudden haste
Precipitation may refer to:
- Acid precipitation, a type of precipitation characterized by high acidity.
- Ammonium sulfate precipitation, a method of purifying proteins
- Ethanol precipitation, a method of concentrating DNA
- Precipitation strengthening, a method used to strengthen malleable materials
- Protein precipitation, a method of separating contaminants from biological products.
- Basic precipitation, a type of precipitation characterized by high alkilinity.
precipitation in Catalan: Precipitació
precipitation in German: Niederschlag (Begriffsklärung)
precipitation in Spanish: Precipitación (desambiguación)
precipitation in Galician: Precipitación (homónimos)
Scotch mist, abruptness, air speed, alacrity, alluvion, alluvium, ash, blood rain, carelessness, celerity, cinder, clinker, deposit, deposition, deposits, desperateness, devil-may-careness, diluvium, dispatch, downcast, downpour, downthrow, draff, dregs, drizzle, dross, ember, evening mist, expedition, expeditiousness, fall, fastness, feces, feverishness, flight, flit, flurry, forwardness, froth, furiousness, gout of rain, ground speed, grounds, hail, haste, hastiness, heedlessness, hotheadedness, hurriedness, hurry, impatience, impetuosity, impetuousness, impulse, impulsiveness, instantaneousness, knots, lees, lightning speed, loess, miles per hour, mist, misty rain, mizzle, moisture, moraine, offscum, overeagerness, overenthusiasm, overhastiness, overthrow, overturn, overzealousness, patter, pitter-patter, precipitance, precipitancy, precipitate, precipitateness, precipitousness, precociousness, precocity, prematureness, prematurity, promptitude, promptness, quickness, rain, raindrop, rainfall, rainwater, rapidity, rashness, recklessness, round pace, rpm, rush, scoria, scum, sediment, sedimentation, settlings, sheet of rain, shower, showers, silt, sinter, slag, sleet, smut, snappiness, snow, snowfall, soot, speed, speediness, splatter, sprinkle, sublimate, suddenness, swift rate, swiftness, unfrozen hydrometeor, untimeliness, velocity, wantonness, wet, wildness